Governor Darling approved a proposed expedition by Captain James Stirling to explore the vicinity of the Swan River in order to ascertain its suitability as a site for permanent settlement outside of New South Wales.
Captain Stirling arrived in March 1827 and immediately commenced a 16 day expedition up the Swan River, during which time the following was noted
“The richness of the soil, the bright foliage of the shrubs, the majesty of the surrounding trees,the abrupt and red coloured banks of the River occasionally seen, and the view of the blue summits of the mountains from which we were not far distant, made the scenery around this spot as beautiful as any thing or kind I had ever witnessed”
Arrival of the ship Parmelia carrying the advance party of the civil officers of the new settlement. On the 18th June Lieutenant – Governor Stirling issued a proclamation announcing the formation of “a Settlement within the Territory of Western Australia”. By August 1829, the first of three ships bringing private settlers to the new colony had arrived.
In September 1829, Captain Stirling and the Surveyor General, John Septimus Roe, travelled up to the head of the Swan River.
In company with a party of settlers who had received permission to select land, they walked along the banks of the River towards Guildford, Stirling pointing out to each applicant the location of the grant which he may occupy and the number of acres he would be expected to take.
A list of those whose applications had been approved and to whom grants had been assigned was made public on 29th Sept 1829.These were the first rural land grants ever made in Western Australia. All of them were in the Swan District between Upper Swan and Guildford.
Location L, Assignee J.S.Roe was for 3000 acres and the name of the property was Sandalford.
Preliminary land clearing had occurred and a number of agricultural crops established, importantly among these were grape vines.
Planting of the Verdelho block
Purchase of a 13.2 hectare site (32 acres), being a lot that was previously a portion of the original ‘Location L’, as assigned to J. S. Roe), by the Erceg family.
Construction of the Mandoon Estate winery on the northern boundary of the Caversham property.
Signified the commencement of the 1st Vintage for Mandoon Estate.
The 2nd vintage for Mandoon Estate and the opening of cellar door in July.